Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sunday’s Obituary: Charles Francis Turner

Note: Further research has revealed that this Charles Francis Turner is not the same as the one who was a child of Richard Stebbens Turner and Lily Filby after all, and therefore is not related to me. However, this post may still be of interest to people who are actually related to him.
 
Although my very first blog post told a part of the story of this side of my family, it has been a while since I have again visited it. (My Luxembourg source project takes up most of my blog time lately.) And, although I would love to again present a well-researched narrative, that takes quite a while to prepare, and I am presently impatient. So I am taking advantage of the Sunday’s Obituary prompt at Geneabloggers to transcribe a more or less random obituary from the English branch of my family. I have also added a Descendancy Report for my 3great-grandfather John Filby, to clarify the relationship of the subject of the obituary to my family.

The subject of the obituary is Charles Francis Turner, a somewhat distant relation. In fact, he is my second cousin twice removed, being the grandson of my great-great-grandmother’s brother.

St. Mary the Virgin, the parish church at which the funeral took place.
Lynda Poulter [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons


THEYDON BOIS
THE LATE MR. C. F. TURNER. -- The funeral took place at the Parish Church on Monday of Mr. Charles Francis Turner, who died at the residence of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. C. Rose, at Coppice Row, at the age of 65. He was very well known in the district, to which he came in 1902, starting a hairdressing business at Epping For four years he was licensee of the Wheatsheaf, Theydon Bois, and later the Carpenters’ Arms, Thornwood. for nine years. During the war he worked at a munition factory. He leaves a widow, one son, and one daughter. The funeral was conducted by the Rev. M. W. Smith, vicar of Chigwell. The immediate mourners were: Mrs. Turner, widow; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Turner, son and daughter-in-law; Mr. and Mrs. C. Rose, son-in-law and daughter; Miss Betty Rose, granddaughter; Mrs. W. Gloyn, sister; Mr. Ralph Turner, brother; Mrs. J. Luck, sister-in-law; Mr. S. Thake, brother-in-law; and Mr. and Mrs. R. West.
  Other Theydon Bois News on Page Five.


The parents of Charles Francis Turner, though not mentioned in his obituary, were Richard Stebbens Turner and Lily Filby. Lily Filby was, in turn, a daughter of William Filby, my great-great-grandmother Elizabeth Filby’s brother. [Note: these parental relations are in error, as noted above.]


Source:


Theydon Bois,” The Chelmsford Chronicle, 19 July 1935, p. 12, col. 2; digital images, British Newspaper Archive (http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ : accessed 2 Jan 2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment